Attic Clean Out Tips
The best time of the year to clean your attic is spring and fall.
The spring and fall: not too hot, and not too cold. Your attic is particularly sensitive to temperature because, unlike other areas of your home, it generally doesn’t have any heating or cooling system. Here are the concerns with summer and winter you need to keep in mind:
The Summer. Attics can reach an incredible 150°F, which is a dangerous temperature for humans. It gets that hot because roof shingles absorb a lot of heat, especially if they’re a dark color. That heat is then transferred to the roof sheathing and rafters, making its way down to your attic. Without any method to get it out, the heat gets trapped in there.
The Winter. In the winter, you can expect your attic to be around the same temperature as the outside air. While it’s not necessarily unsafe for you to spend a minimal amount of time in below freezing temps, you likely won’t head up into your attic in full winter gear.
Take advantage of the ideal temperatures while they’re here. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Take inventory of every item in your attic.
- Make three piles: keep, donate/sell, and trash.
- If you’re having a hard time parting with sentimental items like kids’ artwork, consider photographing them so you have digital copies that stay safe for years to come.
- Hire a junk hauling company. You won’t want to keep the items you chose to donate or throw away, so companies like 24hr Junk are here to help. At 24hr Junk, we firmly believe in finding alternatives to landfills, so we’ll haul your trash to the landfill and take everything else to be either recycled or donated.
- Once you’re left with your “keep” items, organize everything in large tubs or install shelving to keep things in order.
Our team can come and haul away your donations and trash to the appropriate locations. If you’re embarking on an attic clean out, contact us today by calling (604)330-6915 to schedule a pickup!